Home » History » Virtual Museum

Virtual Museum

                                       1613 Fraserburgh Parish Records Translated
                                               
Click Image below for enlarged copy

 

                            The Session of Fraserburgh haldn Nove[m]ber 18 1613

 

The said day compairit Johnne Burnet son to James Burnet Robert /

Farkwur servand Johnne Fraser James Troup as Lau[ch]tfullie stondat/

thairto and bound convict[it] of brek of sabbo[th] be playing at the gouff /

in tyme of precheing The said Johnne Burnet is referit to the /

minster stuill for correctioun The rest ordanit to be taine order /

with be the mag[ist]rat

 

compairit - appear before Court

Farkwur - Farquhar

servand - servant

lauchtfullie - lawfully

ordanit - sentance to suffer a certain punishment

taine - taken

magistrat - magistrate

                                ___________________________________________________ 

                                                            Lord Saltoun's 1891 Gold Medal

                   

 

Press & Journal

6th November 1891 

Fraserburgh.- The annual meeting of the Fraserburgh Golf Club was held in the Academy on Wednesday evening- Mr. John Reiach, Captain of the club, presiding. There was a good attendance of members. The secretary’s and treasurer’s reports were laid on the table, and considered highly satisfactory, the latter showing a substantial sum at the credit of the club. The two gold medals played for during the year were presented to the successful competitors by the captain. The winner of the scratch medal was Mr. G M Joss; Mr. R Mutch securing the handicap trophy. Lieutenant Gairdner, R.N., at the request of Lord Saltoun, intimated that his lordship was to present to the club for competition three medals (gold, silver and bronze). It was resolved to engross in the minutes of the club’s appreciation of his lordship’s continued liberality. At the meeting Lieutenant Gairdner, R.N., presented also a brass cleek for competition amongst the members. The office-bearers for the ensuing year were elected as follows:- Honorary captain Lord Saltoun; captain, Mr. Thomas Park; vice-captain, Rev. G W Stewart: secretary and treasurer, Mr. David Bruce; council, Messrs Jas. Milne, G M Joss, George Stephen, William Noble and William Grant.

 

 

 

Fraserburgh Herald

5th January 1892   

Golf.- The handsome medals presented by Lord Saltoun to the local golf club were played for on Saturday. The competitions were scratch as well as handicap. The medals were won –gold, by Mr. G Stephen; silver, by Mr. James Stevenson; and bronze, by Mr. Lewis R McAllan.

Press & Journal

30th December 1891 

Presentation of Medals by Lord Saltoun to Fraserburgh Golf Club. – The secretary of the Fraserburgh Golf Club has received from lord Saltoun three medals in gold, silver, and bronze, to be played for among the club members on New Year’s Day. The medals are of beautiful design and altogether, are most artistic articles. Round the band are the words, “Fraserburgh Golf Club,” while in the centre is a shield, on which are displayed conspicuously crossed clubs, interwoven with a scroll with ball at foot, and the figures “1891” underneath. The articles, which were supplied by Messrs James Crichton & Co., George Street, Edinburgh, can only be competed for by bona-fide members of the club. The receipt of the medals has created much interest in local golfing circles, and the competition on New Year’s Day is likely to be one of the keenest that has taken place on the Fraserburgh course for many years back. As the medals are to be played for in three classes, the full strength of the club will be on the ground. The only matter for regret is that Lord Saltoun’s absence in London will prevent him from taking part in the competition.

                                                                              

                                                              George Stephen

George Stephen was presented with the gold medal illustrated above, which was gifted to Fraserburgh Golf Club by Lord Saltoun in November 1891, for winning his class of the New Year’s Day competition 1892.

George, a cooper to trade who lived in Castle Street, Fraserburgh, was an accomplished low handicap golfer and was regularly mentioned in golf reports between 1884 and 1904. He was a stalwart of the club, representing Fraserburgh with distinction in many inter-club matches from Montrose in the south to Buckie in the west and even played cricket for the golf club in two challenge matches against Faithlie Cricket Club in 1897.

George was elected to Fraserburgh Golf Club Council in 1888 and served for eleven consecutive years till 1899 during which time he was undoubtedly deeply involved in the highly successful move from the overcrowded 9hole Fraserburgh Links course to our present set-up at Philorth in April 1891.

___________________________________________________

From the Archives No 1 
Extract from Secretary, James McNab’s Report
to Fraserburgh Golf Club AGM,January 1934

Getting Rid of Rabbits

It will be remembered that at the last Annual General Meeting a resolution was passed calling upon the Council to take steps to rid the course of rabbits because of the damage being done to the greens and fairways. Early in the year, the council learned that the tenancy of the Bents shootings was to be given up. They thereupon requested the proprietors, the Feuars’ Managers, to receive a representation from the Council to discuss, with other matters, the letting of the shootings to the club. The managers received the representatives from the Council, and as a result of the meeting the Club became the tenants, as from March. The Council immediately appointed an experienced game-keeper, the main condition of whose agreement was to kill off the at all times of the year. In all, several thousands of these pests have been killed, not fewer that one thousand being killed in the month of April. As a result of this a big improvement in the condition of the course should be noticeable next summer. It is hoped that future councils will continue this policy and that on no account should be shooting rights be given up, even although that rabbits have been reduced to low numbers.

From the Archives No 2
Fraserburgh Herald, June 30th 1903

Mr S. L. Batchan, ironmonger, has presented, a handsome prize to the Fraserburgh Golf Club to be awarded to the member making the longest drive at a competition specially arranged. The competition will take place on Fraserburgh Links

Fraserburgh Herald, September 22nd 1903

On Wednesday 16 competitors entered for the long-driving competition on Philorth Golf Course. The test took place from the 17th tee over the bunker. Each player got three chances and the winner was the man who made the longest drive. The prize, which consisted of an aluminium driver, fell to Mr Charles Stevenson, who, with his first stroke, passed the sand hole - a distance of 211 yards. Mr J. M. Mitchell was second with 204 yards. Some very fine exhibitions were given as far as direction was concerned, but, unfortunately, distance was awanting, some failing to pass the first bunker. Immediately afterwards a one-round match took place and resulted as follows: - A West, 92, 14 off, 78; C. Stevenson, 82, scratch 82; W McNab, 95, 12 off, 83. The first prize was a gold medal, the other prizes consisting of golf tools.

                                                       From the Archives No 3

                                    Proposed Championship Golf Course at St. Combs

 

New Golf Course for St Combs - With the advent of railway communication to St Combs, and the probability of many summer holiday-makers annually visiting the district, a golf course is shortly to be made between the village and the Loch of Strathbeg.  Mr Tom Morris, the famous golfer recently visited the site, and made a thorough inspection of the ground.  The veteran player expressed himself as being satisfied in every way with the site for the new course.

  The new golf course at St Combs:- As previously announced in our columns, a new golf course, with 18 holes, is to be laid out between the village of St Combs and the Loch of Strathbeg.  The course will be in convenient proximity to St Combs Station on the new railway, which will be opened in July, and no doubt will be a big attraction for Fraserburgh folks.  Already there is a talk of building a clubhouse or pavillion at the links.  Some time ago old Tom Morris was over the ground, and expressed the opinion that it was admirably suited for the purposes of a golf course.  A meeting in connection with the project is to be held shortly in Fraserburgh.

(26th May, 1903)                                                                          (16th June, 1903)

Mr Weir the professional golfer and greenkeeper at Cruden Bay has given a very glowing report of the prospective course at St Combs.  He goes most minutely and cleverly into all the salient features of the ground and expatiates upon them in language that would do credit to a member of the Institute of Civil Engineers.  As an expert able to judge of the capabilities of possible golfing around and put these into writing, he may be safely backed against the best professionals in Scotland old Tom Morris included.  After touching on the many strong, and the very few weak points, such as rabbits, eyc., of St Combs, he winds up his report by saying it could be made a course equal to the finest in Scotland. (24th November, 1903)

Golf Course for St Combs. - Negotiations, which are very likely to prove successful this time, are going on as to the formation of a grand golf course on Cairness estate immediately to the south of St Combs.  The extensive links between St Combs and Strathbeg Loch would afford space sufficient for half-a-dozen golf courses, and the turf is of the very finest description.  It is not unlikely that the new club wil be in force by another season. (15th April, 1905)

 
                           PROPOSED

 Golf Course at St Combs.

--

CHAMPION GOLF COURSE OF 18 HOLES

for East Aberdeenshire

--

Members now being enrolled

--

Annual Subscription, 21s

--

Apply immediately to

      John Cranna, Fraserburgh; or

      Wm. Lawrence, Gowanhill,

                  Interim Honorary Secretaries.

(16th May, 1905)

The NEW GOLF COURSE AT ST. COMBS - As will be seen by advertisement in another column, arrangements are being made for laying off a golf course on the magnificent links at St Combs.  The course has been surveyed and laid off by Mr Weir, the professional and greenkeeper at Cruden Bay, who, in his report stated that the ground possessed all the qualities for making St. Combs one of the finest courses in Scotland.  As an indication of its extent, it may be stated that the length of severla of the holes is between 500 and 600 yards.  The texture of the turf is of the very finest kind, and in consequence, the upkeep of the course would be very moderate.  For variety of play the ground presents conditions that would delight the heart of the most ardent golfer. The hazards are real hazards, and punishment would only be meted out to those who deserved it.  Mr Weir predicts a great future for the course, which he believes will, as it becomes known, attract golfing enthusiasts and visitors from all parts of the country.  Members are now being enrolled, and already between 35 and 40 Fraserburgh gentleman have joined, besides, about a score of country residents.  Of course it will depend upon the members enrolled whether the course will go on or not.  The Railway Company are warmly supporting the project, and, besides intimating a liberal donation to the funds, etc., have indicated that special travelling facilities will be granted to the members of the club.  In addition to the beautiful golf links, the country round about is interesting. Quite near the ninth hole is the Loch of Strathbeg, the second largest loch in Aberdeenshire, the bird life of which affords a delightful study to those interested in the subject.  The beautiful sands of St Combs and rattray are at hand, while from the tee at the top of the Gallowhill, a view of the coast line, including Rattray Head and lighthouse, can be had and cannot be excelled in Buchan.  To the west, and within a short distance of the course, are the lovely woods of Cairness  and Crimonmogate, so that for variety of scene the course has advantages possessed by very few golf courses in the country.  Gentlemen or ladies, the latter admitted at 10s, desiring membership, are requested to communicate with Mr Cranna or Mr Lawrence at once.  (16th May, 1905)

          

              ST. COMBS AS SEASIDE RESORT

                                              --

                     Enterprise of the Lairds

                                              --

With the improvements carried out within the last year and those in contemplation for the near future, the village of St.Combs, Aberdeenshire, is to be boosted as a summer resort by Colonel C. T. Gordon of Cairness, the proprietor.

The water supply and drainage system have been brought into ine with the best modern practice, and is now proposed to lay a golf course on the fine adjacent links, one of the best natural sites for a golf course on the north-east coast.

That, together with a bowling green, ample accomodation for tennis players, and safe bathing in protected water from a natural sandy beach, will provide recreation facilities for holiday-makers, whose creature comforts will be catered for by the erection of a modern hotel and road house overlooking the North Sea.

                                                         (24th October, 1933)  

 

                                        From the Archives No. 4,

                         Fraserburgh Herald, 22nd october, 1884

Golf - Victoria Club (Aberdeen) v. Fraserburgh Club. - A match between teams representing the above clubs was played over the Fraserburgh Links on Saturday.  The weather was favourable, but the greens, owing to heavy rain on the previous night, were rough and heavy.  Twelve couples started, and played two rounds of the green of nine holes.  At the conclusion of the game it was found that the Fraserburgh Golf Club had gained 37 holes and the strangers 13 holes, victory thus resting with the home club by 24 holes.  Upon the conclusion of the match the Fraserburgh Club entertained the Aberdeen to dinner in the Dalrymple Cafe.  After doing ample justice to the good things set before them, a couple of hours were passed together very pleasantly. 

    

                                                         

From the Archives No. 5,

                                            Fraserburgh Herald, 7th November, 1922

 

                                    CORRESPONDANCE

                        FRASERBURGH GOLF COURSE

                                                --------------

Sir, - As the one who originally spied the land, and saw the possibilities of a good golf course round anout that classic spot, the Corbie Hill, I wish to congratulate the present Council on their enterprise, in formulating a scheme that will enhance the value of the course a hundred-fold.  Times have changed during the last thirty-one years, - the course was opened in 1891, - and so have golf balls and clubs, and what was considered a decently long course then, us now, with the altered conditions, completely out of date.  The Council is equal to the call the time make upon them.  I believe that a meeting of the Golf Club will be held next week, before which will be laid the scheme drawn up by Mr James Braid for the improvement and extension of the course.

The surprising feature of the scheme is the small expense and amount of work entailed, as against the enourmous improvement on and extension of the course.

The proposal comes at a fortunate time when every true lover of the Broch is alive to the importance of everything being done that can assist in rebuilding its fortunes; and there is not doubt that a first class golf course, stamped with what has for long been the greatest name is golf-James Braid - may become a factor in making a very considerable contribution to the future propserity of the town.

The members of the club are fortunate in having such a scheme to endorse, and it is hoped they will turn out in force at next weeks meeting, in spite of the counter attraction of electioneering, to seal with their approval the forward step that has been taken by the Council.

I think it is but right to say that much of the credit for the present splendid, forward movement is due to the Master of Saltoun, whose services have been invaluable in connection with the realization of the scheme.

                                                                          I am &c,

                                                                     JOHN CRANNA

 

 

                                                     

 

View original papers

 

Hover over the fullsize image to display the forward and back buttons. Alternatively use the left and right arrow keys on your keyboard.

 

Fraserburgh Golf Club - Philorth Links - Fraserburgh - Aberdeenshire - SCOTLAND - AB43 8TL
Tel (01144) 01346 516616 - Fax (01144) 01346 510611